"The true economy of housekeeping is simply the art of gathering up all the fragments, so that nothing be lost. I mean fragments of time, as well as materials. Nothing should be thrown away so long as it is possible to make any use of it, however trifling that use may be; and whatever be the size of a family, every member should be employed in the earning or saving money."
Fantastic stuff! I also enjoy the chapter entitled, "How to Endure Poverty." She writes,"A mind full of piety and knowledge is always rich; it is a bank that never fails; it yields a perpetual dividend of happiness." She goes on to describe a visit to an alms house where she met a lovely lady contrasted with a bitter woman, both of equal misfortune. I love the section of the book called, "Hints to Persons of Moderate Fortune." She talks about timely ideas. "Not one friend will be gained by living beyond your means, and old age will be left to comparative, if not to utter poverty." There are some good recipes, too. My 10 year old daughter made "Cup Cake," a very good shortbread type of cake.
Cup Cake
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
4 eggs
Mix together, bake for 20 min. (The recipe doesn't give temperatures because I am sure that was not thought of then. I baked it at 350. and it took longer.)
If you come across this little gem, give it a read.
~Jenn
Hi Jenn,
ReplyDeleteI love her books. I only have the one, but would like to acquire all of her other books. You know I have never thought to check my library, maybe they will have her other books.
I am just now getting back to blogland after my four weeks away due to my trip.
((((hugs))))
Katia
Hmmm...sounds like a good book. I'll have to look it up at my library.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great book. I'm bummed that it's not at my library. Maybe I can request it. :)
ReplyDeleteJoAnn
What fun! I found the book digitized online here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/13493/13493-h/13493-h.htm
ReplyDeleteShe sounds like a very wise woman *grin*. I must see if our library has a copy of this :) You always find the best books!
ReplyDelete