Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Garden Update No. 2

I appreciate all the great advice and encouragement I've been given about our little garden.  It made me realize that I did not have a clear picture in my mind as to what kind of a garden I wanted.  Of course, I had to decide that.  There are all sorts of types of gardens.  Why didn't I think of this in the first place?  So, with that in mind, we will now be turning our focus of the garden into an area for the kids to explore growing things. 

Today, with some muscle from my youngest two, we dug up an area 4'x3'.  We added left over sand and got rid of the weeds.  Then we took a 12" x12" plastic milk crate and used it to measure off one foot squares.  Into each square went 4 green bean seeds.  We watered them with the rain water we collected over the weekend.  Now we will wait. 

We also moved our compost pile again.  It is now in the middle where the sun shines most.  If we can swing it, I would like to add another row of squares to plant carrots.  We bought some seeds on sale last week.  My oldest wants pumpkins.  I am going to have to think about those.  I know they take a lot of room.  Maybe I can find another sunny spot for those on the side of the house.   

Anyway, all this to say, I am encouraged.  We are using what we have and I know it is going to teach us something!  Already I am grateful that I have this little plot of land to tend. 


It's kind of hard to see the squares, but they are there. 

5 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds great. Hope things grow for you like you want them too. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the bounty that comes from those little squares! I'm doing some gardening too. I'll post some pictures. I actually just made a couple of raised beds.

    Miss you! It was so great to be in Bible study together last semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn, I can see the squares! Your garden has a beautiful start. I can't wait to see pictures of what you grow!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited to hear about your tasty beans!! We really don't have room here for a garden. Well, if we totally tore up the lawn we would. I miss having one and love to hear about everyone else's!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am so looking forward to seeing your square foot garden take shape!! It was a huge success the last time you did it and I love to see how it grows :) We have some new broccoli plants now to replace the savagely eaten ones *grin* and I'm hoping to get hubby to help me build a new raised bed when he comes home again :) I love this time of year. I'm not a big fan of the heat so the cool brisk days of spring are so beautiful to work in. You can have clear blue skies & sun and still not roast to death! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails