Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Our Little ...Uh...Garden?
Oh, the grand plans I had for my garden! But, that was before some unfortunate situations happened that alas, left us cash poor. Not to be discouraged, we are doing what we can do with what we have.
I feel kin to the people who lived during the Great Depression, I do. It could be very romantic to pretend we are reliving their time. It is teaching me to be content. I know that next year we will have recovered, if the Lord allows, and we may be able to have our raised beds then. It will probably be better anyway. By then I will know where the best sun is for them anyway. Until then we are using what we have. And we are also doing a little experiment with weeds. We are calling it a wild flower garden. We want to see what pops up. So far, dandy lions are the prize winner and this pretty flower.
See that little pot with the holes? My mom gave that to us as a donation to our efforts. I am hoping to fill it with strawberries. If that doesn't happen, maybe we can grow something else. Any ideas?
We started a modest pile of compost, too. We found some chopped up leaves from last fall and added them to our scraps of berries, lettuce, carrots and banana peels. All very exciting!
Sure, it's a small start. It's even what I'd call a rough start. But it is what we have and it is ours. Be sure to check back to see how our lettuce, pumpkins, green beans and carrots do in this little...uh...garden.
Update: My daughter, age 10, says she likes our garden. "I can be myself here." Now that was not what I was expecting, but wow!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That's great that you are staying within your budget. I really like those strawberry planters. But I but you could grow herbs in there too. I'm looking to start an indoor herb container garden, maybe. We'll see what the finances hold, but I've always wanted the plants growing in my kitchen. But anyway, that is idea for that container. Or just flowers is nice too. Hope it works out for you. :)
ReplyDeleteJoAnn
I am sorry to hear of your miss- fortune/garden budget. I fully agree with you about the depression. I think this is the reason I love to read and study about it. I sort grew up with a 30's depression, during the 70's in Brazil. Yes, we do learn to make the best of things.
ReplyDeleteI agree with JoAnn about the garden container.
LOL, I too have a few of those yellow weeds in my garden.
Your question about me going to Brazil. Yes, the Lord willing I will go see my mother again, hopefully the end of May. Anna won't go, because we really don't have the extra. Things have been very tough here in the last two years with mark's hours being cut so much. Praise the Lord we got some tax money back this spring, so we think we can finally say our head is above the water. LOL.
Have a great blessed day.
((((hugs))))
I am envisioning your beautiful garden that will be :) Just think at least you didn't have your entire crop eaten by the savage yellow striped bird!! LOL. Love the clay pot. I always see them with strawberries in them but herbs would be a fabulous choice to. You could have chives, parsley, oregano & thyme, maybe rosemary and munstead lavender which is a great smaller lavender and you could clip them to keep them to a nice size :) Making me want to get one to *grin*. Sorry to hear that your garden budget has been tightened but you have such a cheerful spirit about which is such a blessing I really admire that :) Thinking of you sweet friend :)
ReplyDeleteJenn,
ReplyDeleteI see your single beautiful flower
God gave to you in your "garden". I have been where you have been with a
garden ready to be used but no funds avail. But.....thats ok you can make it be a nice little area for you to sit and have quiet time with a simple
table and chair or a place for the children to go and play with a tent..
I can see that pot being used by simply sitting it empty near a tree or patio. Pretty as is or find
some pretty pussywillows or tree branches to sit them in..
I think this season you will look
back and see just how creative and frugal you can be...Hope this helps....nancy :)