Friday, October 16, 2009

Coming Out of Sticker Shock

From now on when my oldest son says he wants to be a vet, I am going to lavish praise on him to encourage this idea!  Yesterday, my 15 year old sweet Abbey Cat, had to make a trip to the vet. 




I have not taken her to the vet since having kids, just didn't have the money.  That plan had worked for us for the last 11 and a half years.  She's been a very healthy cat.  Then in the business of having young kids, I kind of forgot her maintenance needs.  And they've caught up with us. 

Poor baby had a bad tooth and needed it pulled.  She also needed her claws clipped because three were growing into her paws.  We also got her shots and teeth cleaned, since she was already knocked out.  I am hoping this is all she will need for the next little awhile.  Our emergency fund is a little smaller this week, but I am thankful she is well.  She is an important member of our family. 



I have been living with a Siamese cat in the house since the age of 13.  That's a long time!  I can't imagine my life without one, but I am starting to wonder if I can afford another after Abbey.  Vet care is important, but expensive if you are a one income family.  We will have to pray about this.  Hopefully, we won't have to worry about this for awhile, but with such an older cat, I can't help but try to prepare myself for the future.

1 comment:

  1. It can be hard. When growing up all our pets were outdoor pets, and my parents never took them to the vet. Never really understood it until I had animals older. Way too expensive. Vet costs is one of the many reasons we don't have pets. But hey, if you son does become a vet, no more worries about vet bills. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails