It's that time again! It's time to make plans for next year's schoolwork.
I am working on putting finishing touches on Grace's 9th grade curriculum choices. Many of you know my dear Grace, her strengths and challenges. I am thinking of using Abeka for Health and grammar, as she is used to using their program. For math, we will continue in MUS Algebra 1. History and Literature/Writing will be covered with Songlight. She will most likely take an art class at the local high school, which is open to homeschoolers taking classes. I am still trying to find a program for her foreign language choice, American Sign Language! I was thinking we would continue French. Oh, and for science, Apologia biology. I think that is it.
For Trevor, my soon to be 7th grader, I will be using Abeka for grammar, Sonlight for history, literature, and writing. For math he will be ready for MUS geometry! Yes, I said geometry. He is sailing through algebra this year. He will be doing science with Grace, too.
Now that leaves Ryan, my 11th grader. He has requested to enroll at the local high school. It is something he has given a lot of thought to , and I won't go into all the details here. He wants to be in their jazz band. He has met with the band director, and was given sheet music to practice. Ryan will have to prove himself with the school. He has to test out of all his 9th and 10th grade classes. So, it is really now up to him to do the work.
This coming school year is going to be quite different, but as usual, change is something you just have to learn to deal with around here!
I am in planning mode as well. Still trying to figure a few things out.
ReplyDeleteAnd here I am with just 9 short ( too short) weeks left in my youngest child's homeschool career! On pins and needles so to speak. How on earth did all this time go by?!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you are doing a fabulous job meeting each individual child's needs and learning styles. It will indeed be different but I love that you are flexible and open to Ryan stepping out so he can excel in music and whatever else he may find at High School. He is well grounded. You all have done a fabulous job. Will he be able to do computer classes too?
I need to decide what we are doing too!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you all have some good plans set up. I hope they continue to go well. :)
ReplyDeletePlanning mode for me as well, and oh my goodness Ryan does NOT look like a kid anymore, HE is most assuredly a young man. Sounds like he is on his way to making sound decisions for himself. You have to be proud, if he does end up in the school, he is going to have a wonderful opportunity to show that home schooling is a wonderful option and that you all did well in schooling them at home. I believe it will be a wonderful testimony to your schooling years.
ReplyDeleteBless you!
DeleteWhere in the world has time gone??? Wow! When we started bloggy, Grace was a first grader, Trevor and my little one were preschoolers. And I guess Ryan was a 3rd grader and PC I think was a 5th grader. Wow! They have all grown up so much! Now PC is graduating and Ryan is in nearing his final years. And TREVOR IS TAKING GEOMETRY!!!! Unbelievable!!! lol!!!! Jenn, you always do a great job. They will be fine.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Lynn
Planning mode here, too! Sounds like you have a great plan in the works. We are so happy that my oldest daughter switched to MUS. She is thriving in math now, and even wants to do math over the summer so that she can use 3 years of MUS in the 2 years she has left. Where does the time go?????!!!!
ReplyDeleteWow, time goes by so quickly! Your curriculum plans sound so sensible!
ReplyDeleteAnd it must have been a big decision to consider the local high school. May the Lord bless your family and may you let him go with a smile on your face, even though there may be tears in your heart.
((hugs))
Amazing how fast the time has flown by. What an exciting season of change for your family. You have given Ryan wings, and I pray that he will soar to great heights at his new school.
ReplyDeleteI'm still completely undecided for next year - we have a lot of challenges to work around, so I've got some more research to do before I hot the order button. ;)
It's been so nice to follow your family on their schooling journey as our kids grow up.
Blessings,
Michelle