Friday, August 17, 2012

This Week At Home, 2012, Number 32

My favorite evening pursuit. 

Little notes I write to remember each precious day....

The tale of this week starts on Sunday, when we celebrated the birthdays of these dear grandparents! 



Monday...

"Take a deep breath," I say to myself .  Today, I must cram four days of learning into one morning, for Grace is leaving us in the evening, off on her great summer adventure with her grandparents to see aunts, uncles, and several cousins in Wisconsin.

We also had to get her packed, which, if you have ever had to pack a 13 year old girl, it was not so easy!  It was a good lesson in packing lightly. And we never did find her hairbrush! (She took a comb.)

The moment finally arrived when we sent Grace off, and  I am so glad that she has this opportunity, but I miss her.  The house is QUIET! It's just not the same without her. 



Tuesday...

Trevor and I discover just how quickly lessons can get done when there is one less child.  Ryan has all his independent work to do, so his life is not as impacted.  Trevor and I decide to go get bread after we finish lessons.

The guys mowed the grass this evening. It's not needed mowing since the first of June!  I am so thankful that the grass is green and growing again. Remind me not to complain about having to mow in March next year.


Wednesday...

We got a wonderful phone call from Grace this morning on her way to her aunt and uncle's house.  She is having a wonderful trip.  She happened to run into her uncle (Jeff's brother) who is up there for work, quite by accident at the hotel.  What are the odds they'd be staying in the exact same hotel?    She reports that she gave him two hugs.  We don't get to see him as often now that he has moved away. 

After a good morning of learning, much like yesterday, the boys and I went swimming. It felt good to be in the sunshine and the cool water, which was refreshing.  With the cooler nights and a little rain, the water was almost too cool for me!  I hope we can swim at least once a week for awhile.  It is one of the joys of summer that doesn't have to end with the starting of school. 

Speaking of, our neighborhood kids went off to school today...

And, it was a happy surprise to find an email from Grace when we got home from swimming.  She sounds so grown up!   Today she went to a museum with her aunt and cousins.  She even ate spinach (which she won't eat at home) when she discovered it came on a sandwich that she ordered. (Good girl for not making a fuss.)



Thursday...

The week's lessons were finished around 11AM.  The big story of this morning is that we may get rain soon.  The radar shows a big blob headed our way.  If only!

I found the desire to be domestic, so I organized a closet, made pizza dough, and did laundry.  Tonight, we have groceries to get and karate.

(Yes, it did rain, but only a light, gentle rain.  The temperature fell to 70 degrees and it got very dark and windy. I was sure it would just pour. Oh well, at least we got a little. )  





Friday...

Well, it continued to rain all evening, yesterday, and a little more over night!  I checked the rain gauge and it read 9/10 of an inch!  And now it is a bit cooler.  We will only reach 76F today, plus it is sunny.  

We have small group at our home, and Grace comes home this evening!  So, we'll get the house ready and then wait for our girl.  I've missed her. 

There is a long list of things to do, like make hummus, clean everything, do laundry, weed the front beds, and on and on. 

We have fun plans for the weekend.  Tomorrow, good friends are coming for dinner.  Sunday after church, I imagine Grace will be a little weary, so we will just have to find a way to enjoy the lovely weather and rest up for another busy week.  (And it is going to be super busy!)   

I hope you've had a great week!
Jenn 


12 comments:

  1. Wow! It has been quite a week (again)! Looking forward to the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a quiet and peaceful week. :) I'm sure Grace will be as glad to be home as you will be to have her home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice review and I'm glad you finally got your rain! The ole looking into the microscope picture I see -- great for that high school portfolio, haha. So now tell me, the yard photo, is that a view from your house out to your back yard? It looks like you have a really big yard. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yard is pretty big for a city neighborhood. It's almost half an acre. I think because it's an old neighborhood the lots were larger. Now they are half the size or smaller. The view is from one corner of the back yard looking towards the neighbor's yard.

      Delete
  4. Thats so neat Grace had a surprize hello seeing her Uncle at the hotel..

    Sounds to me you are all quite busy.. makes the time go by fast for sure..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great week. They tend to grow up overnight when they do something new like she did this week. I'm glad she could have such a good time with family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice that Grace has had this opportunity! It sounds like a wonderful week for all of you. We've been running around and it was fun, but now I almost want to start schoolwork. Not quite though, because we're not ready.

    Thanks for helping me look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, ha ... My daughter has stayed with my sister and also ate spinach. At home she always grumbles. Is yours home safely now? Yes, it's fun for the child to see family. But it is a bit quieter in home huh? We miss them.

    Glad you've had rain. Your garden is great! What a lot of grass to mow. Here it is so hot. (36 degrees above zero) The heat is now in the house and the kids complain about it. Sleeping in a sweaty room is not fun.

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jedidja, yes, Grace is home safe and sound. I am very grateful to our family for wanting her to come, but it's nice to have her back.

      Delete
  8. Yay, rain! Hope you're having some of the "fall-ish" weather we're having. Lovely update on all your doings. Back to school this week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We started school a couple weeks ago in order to take a week off when Daddy has vacation soon! And yes, we are loving this cooler weather!!!

      Delete
  9. Isn't is strange for the house to be so quiet when just one child is gone? I know that empty feeling. I'm glad she is back home now. :)

    PS Love the microscope picture. That brings back memories!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails