Friday, May 4, 2012

This Week At Home, 2012, Week 18

Little notes I write each day to remember each precious one!  

Sunday...

Awesome sermon on being content.  I am glad that we will get to discuss it on Friday with our small group.  After our lunch of leftover burgers, which sounds blah, but was really yummy, the guys went to get haircuts, where they ran into Grace who was getting a haircut while out with her nana.  When the guys got home and Grace returned, we spent some time working on the yard. I weeded and the guys mowed.  Grace made a fruit salad and brought us water.  We finished off the crock pot lasagna for dinner.  Deep Space Nine was our evening's entertainment.  Slowly, I am starting to like the characters, but am not happy with the themes of some of the shows, a little too suggestive.

Saturday's grilling out 


Monday...

The oven repair man is coming this morning!  My guess is that he won't be able to fix it because the part will either no longer be made or more expensive than a new oven.  Either way, I am making chicken in my slow cooker today, which I must get in the cooker soon!

We have our last week of Sonlight to finish this week, always a sad week.  Thankful that we will have another year of Sonlight to start in August.  But this week will be the last of what has been a great year of learning together.  OK, not the last week.  We have two or three more after this to finish up other subjects and get our 180 days all in.

Other than lessons, I need to catch up laundry, keep the kids working on cleaning up their messes, and take Grace to dance. The parents are invited to watch the last 15 minuets as they've prepared a little number for us.


They got hair cuts! 



Tuesday...

Seemed like a long day.  We got right to our lessons.  After lunch, we worked on a quick tidy up.  Then we had our little friend over to play.  It was stormy this afternoon, so we couldn't play outside.  I spent some time doing laundry.  It's finally caught up for a moment in time. Grace went to art class. I made three bean chili with zucchini.  (The oven is still out.)  We measured 2 inches of rain in the gauge today.  Wow!

Three Bean with Zucchini

1# pound of lean ground meat (I use grass fed beef, but turkey or bufalo would be good)
2 medium zucchini, cubed
3  15oz. cans of your favorite beans (I used white kidney, black, and pinto)
1 cup whole wheat pasta, cooked and drained 
1 large can of tomato juice
2 or 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 chopped onion (you'll want to cook with the zucchini if you  choose this)or 1 t of onion powder
1T chili powder
1t cumin  
salt and pepper to taste
*next time I am going to add some frozen corn  to the mix.

Brown your meat and drain if needed.  Add garlic and zucchini.  Cook until tender.  Add the rest and simmer just a little while. 

Bird Killer Want To Be


Wednesday...

I did not sleep straight through the night, so I felt sleepy all day.  Lessons were done. We finished our history "spine."  For a brief moment, I thought about saying we could get out next year's book, which is already here and waiting, but then, I decided we really do need a rest.  We still have lots to keep us busy for another couple weeks. 

There is warm, moist air coming into the atmosphere, making it humid and not as pleasant.

Tonight is the AWANA party night.  We'll have an extended time for the girls to work on their books.  At my table, one girl finished two books this year, one just finished a book last week, one started a book and finished the first section last week, and I have one girl who is stuck in the middle of her book that she started last year. 

For dinner, we're having pancakes, sausage, and fruit.  I don't have that oven working just yet.  There is a dilemma to be worked out.  The oven is 27 inches, a space saver.  The new ovens are 30 inches or so.  The old one is over 45 years old.  The part will cost hundreds of dollars.  But a new oven won't fit in the space without redoing the cabinets.  Ugh.  Times like this I am glad I don't have to make the decision.






Thursday...

Another day, much the same as the others, which is just fine with me!  Although, Trevor and I did make a quick trip to the library and bakery before lessons.  We watched our little friend in the afternoon.  I made grilled cheese and a big salad for dinner.  We had fruit, too.  I don't know if I'll make it without baking a home made pizza this week.  I make one every week!  


Grace's latest. 

Friday...

Waking up to cooler weather and a big blob of stuff headed our way via the radar.  Tonight is small group, here.  Today we will finish up loose ends with lessons and then tidy the house.  Dinner will be spaghetti, salad and fruit.



She has a hard time staying awake for lessons. 
Have an excellent weekend!  I'll write more about ours on Monday.  Let's just say we have an adventure planned and the weather probably won't cooperate. 
~Jenn

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jenn. Sounds like a good week! I hope your oven is fixed. Would love to try to make 3 bean chili and zucchini. When you have a moment, would you please share the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gina, I added the recipe. Thanks for asking! And I also sent you it via email. :-) I can't wait to make it again.

      Delete
  2. Quite the oven problems you are having (or shall I say the homeowner). I would think the only good option would be to move the cabinets & make room for a bigger one - it's inevitable that that is what is going to have to be done eventually anyways. And hey, what happened to your big, fancy grill? You will have to google up grilled pizza -- if I'm not mistaken, I thought I saw a grilled pizza receipe on Pinterest one time -- who knows, it might be super delicious. Congrats on nearly finishing up the school year... maybe you will have to do what our public school does and just have fieldtrips the last few days to get in those required number of days (so dumb). Thankfully us MN homeschoolers don't have a minimum # of days. And it looks like DD needs some more stimulating school work. Maybe you should gear her studies towards her bent...how about a mouse & bird unit study?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh... I have to report that our big beautiful grill isn't working either. I have grilled pizza before, but with a dough that was pre-baked. Yes, DD needs something more stimulating to study. She excels in napping though.

      Delete
  3. I am looking forward to get back to school next week. The week off was needed for other reasons but it was almost too much for me emotionally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't think of doing a post like this by writing a bit each day. ((light bulb going on [o;) I think I could do that and see how it turns out each week. I think that would be fun. Thanks for inspiring me! I need some inspiration right now...feeling a bit dry.

    Praying blessings on your week end. I love hearing what you all are up to and I want to try that recipe out. I need to replace the tomato though. Probably chicken broth with a bit of roasted sweet pepper paste. [o=

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great week, well except for the stove issues. We are starting to have issues with our stove, but thankfully it's still working. We'll see what our landlord says too. I hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails