Thursday, July 28, 2011

Back to School Plans


It's the hottest time of the year, so we're on our way to swim, making a detour along the way to drop off library books that are due.  That's when the kids start asking me about starting school.  "When is our first day of school?"  "When do the public school kids start?"  One says, "I want to start now!"  Another says, "I want to start in a week!"  And there I am trying to dodge construction flags and barricades while this discussion is heating up, not saying much in reply.  


Truth is, physically, I am ready to start school.  I have all the books.  The "learning room" (aka the living room) is ready to go.  I've been "nesting" this week, getting things purged and tidy.  But am I ready mentally?  I don't know.  Once this ball gets in motion there is no turning back.  I love the freedom of summer.  I know I don't have to give it up quite yet.  But, they are eager to get going, and that counts for something!
 

So, get going I will do!  I think we will start on Monday.  Probably only get 3 days a week for awhile, but that is OK because we will be working towards the required 180.  And, the kids can be done earlier this spring.  That is what is driving them right now.  They want to get going so that they can finish!  I'm thinking,"Hey, why not just enjoy the here and now?"  lol.


We still have some summer to enjoy, with camping, family visits, swimming and more.  The in between times will be more structured with lessons.  Perhaps the kids are just ready to get back to the familiar routines and the beautiful books waiting for us.  And, hopefully, we won't burn out by October!

***I have updated our homeschool page, if you want to see what books we are using.  

(Pictures from archery class this week.  See how hot and dry it is?  No relief in sight.)

14 comments:

  1. Oh to start or not...If it were not for a wedding and me being gone the last two weeks of August we would have started half days already. NOT because I am ready but because the kids are. Bless them for understanding that if we do something over the summer it means when the lovely days of spring arrive they will be free to follow the wind!This is oldest dd last year of homeschool....I am feeling the crunch. Praying for the motivation to get the lesson plans started ( yep I have not done anything except get the books) Looking forward to our first week in September!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've tried to "school" throughout the summer. The schedule has been a lot less rigorous than usual due to a lot of traveling I had to do concerning my mom, but math is something we have definitely stayed on top of. Funny you posted this as I'm going to be making a list of must haves today and ordering from Rainbow soon.
    Blessings for a new and productive school year! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so neat your kids are wanting to get back to lessons. My summer lesson plans have been touch and go and sadly not like I had hoped. ((sigh)) I am going to get them going I think the second week of Aug. maybe 2-3 days a week and lightly get our lessons going. Start with something fun like science. [o= What boy could not want to do some science experiments?!? [o= Now seems to be the mad rush for me to get done all I need to get done before Sept. for example make juice and candles (to sell at the Fall fair) and make some lesson plans and harvest the garden. Yes, August is always a mad dash to get done, lol.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))!
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is a great idea since they are eager to start. :) This will give you the ability to take days off here and there, especially on those beautiful spring days when they are suffering from spring fever. It's just too hot right now to enjoy. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for a successful adn joyfilled school year!! No Burn Out!! Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we are in opposite situations! I'm pretty sure I'm ready to get back to routine, but my boys would probable run and hide if I said "it's time".

    Happy school year to you, Jenn!

    Blessings!
    Sharity

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I am also physically ready - but I needed summer break this year so badly, and I am also mentally not ready for it to be over. Sometime in October would suit me just fine this year.

    Realistically, I think we'll be starting after Labor day. I think I can pull myself together by then. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so ready for 'winter' here.. ugh..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it is that time of year again...

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would take that as a compliment that they are eager to start early. That means they must enjoy how you do their home schooling. Otherwise, they might want to prolong it for as long as possible. :)

    When I used to work with children, it was always difficult to "start again," after a nice break. It's not always easy to get back into the routine of curriculum planning and set schedules. I pray that the Lord will guide you in this matter, Jenn.

    I think it's smart that you are starting-out with just three days a week. I think this will help you ease into a more structured routine. Just take it slow, take deep breaths, and don't rush into anything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am still trying to figure out what curriculum I want to use this year....

    ReplyDelete
  12. The archery looks like so much fun. We will start in a week or two, I'm not in a huge rush, and neither are the kids. But we'll be taking a vacation towards the end of August, so we'll get some days in before, take the vacation, then start up for good. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhh, this answers my "when starting" question. Great post. Anna wants to start now too, but Amber doesn't want summer to end...she likes school, but she wants to enjoy the weather as long as she can. Harvest will be late this year and we have a couple of little trips planned, so we may not actually start until quite late this year, but then I hope to keep our noses to the grindstone once we do get going. Time will tell. I have all the books & the main schedule done, I just need to organizize my thoughts/head and write out a little more detailed scope & sequence for history & Bible so I know the game plan. I really, really want to finish American History this year. A 3-day school week is a good idea, but I don't know if that would fly around here right now. I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm planning on starting August 22nd. Homeschool books are ordered but haven't arrived yet.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails