Friday, May 13, 2011
Beautiful Girlhood
Grace and I are reading, Beautiful Girlhood, revised by Karen Andreola. I bought this book a couple years ago in preparation for the day when my Grace would be entering young womanhood. It is hard to believe that we are nearly there. I wanted to fill her mind with beautiful thoughts as she makes this difficult journey to womanhood. We are just in chapter 9 and already I am so glad we are reading this book together.
"The great foe of these years is selfishness, and the girl who comes to the most perfect womanhood learns soon to fight selfishness with all her might." page 27
Oh how I wish I had thought about these things when I was a young girl of almost twelve, like Grace. It would have saved me many heartaches, for sure. Unfortunately, I did not meet my Savior for many more years ( I was 20) and so I was left to my selfish ways for too many years. Years that the Lord has redeemed to be sure, thankfully!
It is my prayer that my daughter can avoid the discipline issues that I struggle with. Is it not what all mothers want, to spare their children pain? Sometimes pain is the best teacher, though, and I must step back and let her learn.
So, Grace and I will read this lovely book together and pray that she can be a girl who is wise and learns to fight selfishness with all her might for the glory of God!
Labels:
About Me,
Books We Enjoy,
Character,
The Kiddos,
Training
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That sounds lovely!
ReplyDeleteI really like Becoming God's Little Princess by Sheila Walsh for the "just before tween" stage as well. It has made a HUGE impact on my 8 year old daughter.
Nice post. I read both Beautiful Girlhood and Fascinating Womanhood as a teen...good, classic books. I should reread them sometime...it's been a while since I was a teen ya know. lol My new all-time favorite is "Raising Maidens of Virtue" by Stacy McDonald.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your mama/daughter time.
Jenn,
ReplyDeleteI'm actually reading that book right now, "Beautiful Girlhood." I'm not as far along as you are though. I believe that I will be starting with chapter 6.
It's such a good book, and I wish that I could have had something like this read to me when I was a young girl as well. So, I'm "late" to read it now, but I'm still learning from it even though I am a grown woman.
-L. Rose
I have started this book with my girls but it is challenging to find time with just the girls with these two boys. My husband's schedule does not often give us the time we need. I am hoping to have more time this fall. I am going to have to order Jane's favorite book soon too! Oh, so much to to and so many good books.
ReplyDeleteHello, Jenn. I have heard of this book before and was wondering what age it is good to start? My eldest girl (we have 5) is 9.
ReplyDeleteHello Mrs. Q! I think the age depends on the maturity level of the girl. My Grace is about to be 12, which has seemed a good age for us to start. In general I'd say 11 to 12 would be good a good age.
ReplyDeleteYes, it's hard to step back and let them learn from the mistakes they make, but sometimes we have to. It sounds like a lovely book. And it's great to hear how invested you are in you daughters future. :)
ReplyDeleteJoAnn