One of the best ways I've found to cope with feeling "poor" is what I call the Write it Down Technique.
I don't know if this happens to you or not, but sometimes my thoughts go so fast that I get overwhelmed trying to keep track of everything, mostly things I think that we need.
For example, let's say I am moving through my house and as I see things that we need to update or have run out of, I start to compile a mental list. Then I start to think of things that I want to do that cost money like start a garden, sign the kids up for archery at the park, and buy curriculum. Oh, don't forget the Jeep needs tires and the kids need to see a dentist and the cat could use a vet visit! Do the kids have any clothes that will fit this summer?
Now at this point, I have a jumbled mess in my head with confusing priorities. And I start to feel poor because there is no way on earth we can pay for all of this. Credit card debt is not an option, so I start to feel poor. Poor me.
This way of thinking is not very helpful, nor is it true! Thankfully, I've learned to calm myself down by simply writing it all down on paper. Then, I mark each item as either a want, a wish, or a need and how important it is.
It is so freeing to see this list. I pray over it for the next several months. I watch it change. I see things marked off because they've been provided for. I see things marked off because they were not really needed. All the while my mind is clear, a burden has been lifted. My heart is fixed on the things I need to think on. I see provision. I have hope. I am content because I know that my Father knows what I need before I even ask him.

Another perfect post for me to read on a timely note. ((HUGS)) This is a wonderful practice and I plan to start a list today. Thank you for helping someone who gets lost in the details when they need to see the BIG picture.
ReplyDeleteBlessings and ((HUGS))<><
-Mary
This is such a simple, but GREAT, idea! Now I just need a notebook to keep all my lists and pieces of lists in... Adding "notebook" to my list. :)
ReplyDeleteFantastic idea! I have many wants and so few needs in reality. But the prayer requests concerning loved ones is altogether a different story...this idea would find great application there for me :-)!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this great idea, Jenn. I can see how this would work in other areas of mental jumble--of which I have many.
ReplyDeleteGod bless your day,
Wendy
It really does help to have a list. I'm such a list maker, I probably have too many lists. :) But it's always good, that way if we do get extra money we know what we really need not such what we want at the moment. Glad you found something that works. :)
ReplyDeleteJoAnn
Thanks Jenn for this post, it was just what I needed to read this morning. My head and heart are full with a jumble of pressing thoughts I only seem to be able to scratch the surface of. So a timely, thought provoking reminder about where to lay my worries, as you say beautifly, with The Lord. Bless you, Jenn. Love Lee-Anne, from the Shakey Isles (formerly known as Christchurch, NZ)
ReplyDeleteGreat idea!
ReplyDeleteI almost came to you the other day for some encouragement. I was so tempted to buy a new purse. (I'm working on my delayed gratification.) I'm pleased to say I didn't get one! I passed on an unnecessary (but would have been helpful) curriculum buy, too! I guess I got a little prideful...I failed miserably at my sister's Pampered Chef party last night.
I'm trying to not get discouraged over my failure, just pick-up and move ahead.
Thanks for doing these posts! They are really helping my get the right perspective.
Blessings!
Sharity
How absolutely sensible! The simplest solutions are usually the best, aren't they? Except I can't imagine where I'd store that piece of paper; I'm overwhelmed with pieces of paper! LOL
ReplyDeleteAnnie Kate
I love this! What a wonderful idea! I am absolutely going to start implementing this in my life.
ReplyDeleteYou always lift the Spirit and have such wonderful, practical ideas! Thank you for sharing!
God bless you - Julie
What a smart method! I think this would work in all kinds of areas of life. For instance, I start getting overwhelmed with all the chores I need to do. I don't have the time! But writing them down, I can prioritize, check them off one by one, let the list change.
ReplyDeleteMiss you!
Great post, Jenn.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea Jenn!!
ReplyDeleteOooooh, I love this idea! This sounds like just what I need to do. It will also keep me from overwhelming my poor hubby with my wishlists!
ReplyDelete