It has been a productive week. We only have 30 more school days at this point. My children, on their own, have come to me and can see the wisdom of continuing on with their math through the summer. My oldest is teaching himself Latin from my high school books. I see a lot of the love of learning going on here!
My grandmother was moved back to her nursing home yesterday. I hope to go see her tomorrow after church. We are praying that the nursing home staff can be attentive to her needs. They are spread thin.
The warm weather went away. We are back to normal March temperatures in the 40's with lows in the 20's. I kept trying to tell myself that the 70's were not normal. Snow is in the forecast this coming week. I hope they are wrong. But, if they are not, that is just the nature of spring. Warm weather will be here soon to stay.
Life and Learning:
What a learning week we've had! We finished the Mary Slessor, Forward into Calabar by the Benges. What a lady. She had pluck! Imagine going into a hostile jungle, no one ever having seen a white woman before, demanding the chief give you land to build a mission station and then demanding he build it! And he built it! The natives loved her. They called her their White Ma. She was not afraid of standing up to their evil ways. If you have not read a missionary's story this school year, you have to do it! Your kids will be on the edge of their seats demanding more. We start a David Livingstone biography on Monday. He inspired Mary to be a missionary. I can't wait.
We also started a book called The Rat Catcher's Son. This book is set in Africa as well. The grandfather, Baba, tells moral tales to his two grandchildren while they work. So far it is very entertaining and a wee bit convicting on the subjects of pride, bragging and stealing.
The older students finished writing parodies of famous poems this week. I think they enjoyed that exercise. Grace chose Green Eggs and Ham. Ryan chose A Winter's Night in August. I think our writing will be winding down for the year. I am planning on them writing more "friendly letters" and working on their spelling. We gave up on our formal spelling lessons after Christmas. I think they get plenty of spelling with learning to write and from reading. But, I would like the younger two to work on theirs. I am going to use Spellingcity.com
Around the House:
We have 3 more Saturdays after today without Daddy being home, so I am going to devote those days to a few spring cleaning projects. One a week, should do the job. Last week I tore apart the master bedroom. This week the focus is on the bath rooms. I even think I will get out the new shower curtain. And I am going through the kids clothes, purging what doesn't fit. That's a huge job!
In the Kitchen:
Lots of good things going on here. My main goal for the week is to keep on top of making sure there are veggies cut up , salad made, and good snack choices available. This requires a little planning and work. It is easier to just grab a handful of crackers than to peel carrots or cut up an apple.
Saturday: Chicken chili, salad, flaxseed chips
Sunday: Turkey burgers, broccoli, and salad
Monday: Broiled fish, fresh green beans, whole grain rolls
Tuesday: Whole grain pizza, salad
Wednesday: Whole grain pancakes, fruit
Thursday: Roasted chicken, sweet potatoes, salad
Friday: Whole grain spaghetti, homemade marinara, and broccoli
Scripture Memory:
For the next two weeks I will be working on Romans 12:1-2.
1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. 2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. ESV
Picture of the Week:
| Only computer geeks will get this shirt. |
Thank you for taking a look at our week.
~Jenn

Nice review. I hope Gma can spring back to health soon. It sounds like you are doing a fine job in school (and almost done). Yeah!!! We read David Livingston last year and I was really disappointed in the guy.
ReplyDeleteYou're right, I don't get the shirt. lol.
I guess I am not a computer geek. I am left thinking...huh???? [o=
ReplyDeleteIt is so good to hear about your grandma getting better. Praying all continues to go well. Yes, today is a bit more chilly here too. What is the name of the biography of Mary Slessor I am really interested in that one and also the Rat Catcher's Son sounds GOOD too. Are they all on the Son Light List ?
Your spring cleaning sounds very doable. Hope that stays on track. Hee he thank you for your wisdom on the apron and kitchen cupboards. I need to get a hook for my apron and get a nice apron to hang on it too. [o=
Blessings and ((HUGS))
-Mary
Sounds like a great week. Hope you get all your spring cleaning done. Love the pictures. :)
ReplyDeleteJoAnn
I guess I'm not a computer geek because I totally do not get that shirt!
ReplyDeleteI love reading those missionary biographies too.
30 more days?! Good for you! We still have quite a ways to go yet.
We're finally getting some Spring weather though.
Thanks for the tip about castile soap. I'll have to keep an eye open for it.
Have a good weekend!
I'm liking your menu for the week! Sounds so healthy. I know what you mean about having snacks prepared ahead of time so you don't choose junk. It can be a hard discipline!
ReplyDeleteWe've had a similar 'return to normal' weather pattern, but with flowers blooming--we're on a one-way track out of winter! Yay! :-)
May you have a blessed week,
Wendy
Dafodils?! Oh I am jealous!
ReplyDeleteWe still have quite a bit of snow cover, but the temps are in the 40s this week, so I'm hoping it will slowly melt away.
It sounds like you all had a great week!