Friday, March 11, 2011

This Week at Home

In which, we continue to make progress.

On the Heart and Mind:

I am so thankful for how things went this week.  Ryan had a low grade fever Sunday evening, so I was not sure how things would go.  He remains congested, but is functioning.  I've let him have extra sleep each morning.  And I let him skip gym class.  It seems to be working.  Of course, I hope no one else comes down with this.  

I got some really good news from a close family member.  I can't say exactly what it is, but it going to be nice seeing them more often very soon.  

Only 5 more working Saturdays of tax season remain.  We are doing very well this season.  We get to see Jeff for an hour or two each night, so that is nice.  I am sure this will dwindle down in the next several weeks.  I am not allowing myself to have any pitty parties this year.  There are too many people with harder situations than mine for that. 

Goatee?


Life and Learning:

We finished Teresa of Calcutta and Shadow Spinner, both, very good books.  We will start two new books next week.  I think we are moving on to Africa from India.

The older two students wrote persuasive essays this week.  Grace chose to persuade me that it would be better to have cookies for her birthday rather than a cake, as we will be camping that week.  Ryan wrote about why Linux is better than Windows.  (I agree, by the way.) 

I've started gathering books for next year.  I bought two years of Teaching Textbook's math from a dear online friend.  We're getting ready to place our Sonlight order, too.   I need to place an order for Apologia during CBD's sale this month.  I love curriculum sales! 
Look familiar?

Around the House:

Just keeping up with the basics, which I have decided is good enough during the school year.  I mean, really, it is not going to change, so I need to get over it!  :-)

Camping out in the family room.

In the Kitchen:

I splurged and made a huge pan of lasagna this week.  It's a splurge when cheese and meat are so dear.  I used the leftover marinara that I made last week.  I will end up freezing lunch sized portions for my husband's lunches, so it ends up going a long way. 

Saturday, we'll make some treats to take to my Grandma on Sunday. 

On the Nook:

Oscar Wilde's play, An Ideal Husband is what I am reading for fun this week.  It's a tale of what happens when you lie.  I'll be looking for another book soon, as it is a very short story.  Any suggestions?  Remember, it must be in the public domain.  I am thinking about Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm.  It's been a long time since I read that book. 

Scripture Memory:

Going to have a review week, going back to the beginning. 

Picture of the Week:


Quote of the Week:

"We all have our short comings," Teresa said, "but the marvelous thing is that God uses us for His work, even with our weaknesses.  God writes through us, and however imperfect pencils we may be he writes beautifully."  

from Teresa of Calcutta, by D. Jeanene Watson, p. 120.

One last thing.  My friend Keri of Sunny Keri has made a short video that I think you just have to go see.  She adds her gorgeous photos to Wyane Watson's singing of I am His and He is Mine.  Just beautiful.  Thank you, Keri.


I hope you've had a great week, too!
~Jenn









.

12 comments:

  1. What a great post. I love it! Lasagna creates quite a stir around here, as well. Very exciting. That homeschool cartoon is so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your weekly reviews Jenn! I always like how you start them, "In which".

    Okay, now you have me guessing who could be moving close by. Do tell when you can. And I read Ryan's essay...he is well on his way to being the "biggest geek ever", I have no idea what he is talking about.

    And which Apologia are you doing next year? We will be getting Zoology, but I left it up to Anna to decide which one...that was a mistake...she can't decide. lol

    Oh, and I LOVE that picture. Sooo very funny!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the Lord is blessing you in your faithful walk on this road less traveled. I was just thinking how does she have so much time to read. But then the picture of my sitting and knitting came to mind. *grin* Yes we all choose things don't we. I do read but I don't get to as much b/c I spread out what I do. So I need to savor what I do do. [o=

    PS: I had the BIGGEST chuckle on the bunny shadow, ROFL!

    Blessings and ((HUGS))!
    In Him<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Ryan. I have had no virus' since putting Ubuntu on my computer. :-)

    I also love the the smiley calendar.

    thanks for sharing,

    Jenny (mamajen)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Ryan. I use UBUNTU on my laptop and have had no virus'. Yeah!

    Also love the smiley calendar.

    Have a great weekend.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting week, Jenn. I really enjoy your 'overview' posts. I just did lasagna this week for the first time in many months--happy family.

    I'd have to agree with Ryan. Hubby is working for the third week or so trying to get a bad virus cleaned off our main computer--and we don't have Linux! Hope that'll change soon.

    Have a restful and blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks and sounds like a great week. Hope everyone is 100% soon. I love the pictures of the homeschool year at a glance. So true. :) I have thought of going to Linux, but just haven't taken the step yet. I'll have to make sure I read his article. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your picture of the week! Great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am FEELING that first homeschool-burnout cartoon, but the bunny-shadow cartoon made me bust out laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Jenn,
    Wow, what a quote, love it!!!!

    Wonderful that you are doing just the basics because the basics is "A LOT", really!!!!....I have a friend who is a teacher in PS and she said during the school year, her life is all about the basics and that's it. Keep up the good work as a teacher to your darling kids.
    Good for you to review your verse. I so badly wished to come here this week to encourage you, but my week, was a BUSY one.
    (((hugs))
    Katia

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been such a sweet time visiting your blog and catching up a LOT today! Thank you so much for your cbox comments and prayers. I have at least one more week of a busy schedule and organization.

    I hope that your son is feeling better and that his fever disappears and that the Father puts a hedge of protection over your family to NOT get sick.

    May your week be filled with many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good stuff, friend! I just wanted to make a book suggestion. Have you read Mary Jones and Her Bible? Here's the link on Google Books: http://bit.ly/hMRWcz It's so good!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails