Silly Mr. Squirrel
On the Heart and Mind:
It took two weeks, but we are back to normal. I am praying we can enjoy this good health for a little while . I so want to go visit my Grandma. I've kept away from her to protect her health. I hope to see her this weekend. Also, I am thankful for the warm up that is coming this weekend. Our driveway is covered with thick ice. Maybe the warmer temperatures will take care of it.
The 7th Grade Class Photo
Learning and Life:
We finished Daughter of the Mountains. We give it a thumbs up. Momo is a very determined little girl and very much strong in her faith, unfortunately she puts that faith into the wrong god. I really love reading books about different cultures. My sympathy is stirred. I want to pray harder for the lost. So many people are lost and are going to spend eternity in anguish.
We continued reading about William Carey. If ever there should be a discouraged man, it would be him. He has a horrible time getting the mission to India started. That's a lesson to me. Things do not necessarily go well, even when you are in God's will. I think Satan was working double time against Mr. Carey. But that did not stop him from going forward with a happy heart.
We (Grace and I) have come to a stopping place in math. It is time to pause and think about things for awhile. Selah. Grace and I are going to go back through her Math U See books and review all the concepts up to this point. We are also going to order MathTacular from Sonlight.
I think we need a big dose of Professor Justin's humor. Math has just gotten too traumatic here lately. It is to the point of hard feelings and lots of tears. You have to know when to take a step back and reconsider. That time is now.
In the Kitchen:
To simplify my life, I've come up with a rotation menu for the winter. I don't have to think about what is for dinner. I just look at my plan. I'll write it here to show you what I mean. I also am flexible enough, that if my dinner plans for that night are too fussy for what we have going on that day, I can rearrange my menu.
Day One: Soup & Bread Night
Day Two: Asian Night
Day Three: Mexican Night
Day Four: Italian Night
Day Five: Breakfast Night
Day Six: Americana Night (stuff like casseroles, meatloaf, oven fried chicken)
Day Seven: Sandwich & Salad Night
Fantastic Casserole Recipes
Potato Flake Sourdough Recipe
Mandarin Cake Recipe
Is his face stuck in this pose?
On the Bookshelf:
I finished A Rose in Bloom by L.M. Alcott. I can't wait until Grace has time to read it. It is a true girlie girl book, so full of noble ideas about romance and the world. Grace is reading The Brethren by H. Rider Haggard. She just finished A Bride Goes West , a voices from the past audiobook. I hope to get her more of those. Excellent stuff!
This week, I have only had a little time to read for my own pleasure, but what I read was a fantastic, mind changing read, When Queens Ride By. Please take the time to download and read the short story. The way I think about my work as a wife has been forever changed. Thanks again to Annie Kate for the heads up.
Also, if you are the mother of a son near the age of 13, please go read this from Like Mother, Like Daughter. I think you will be blessed, if you do. I really needed to read this one!
Scripture Memory Work:
I'd love to say that it was a banner week in this category. After being sick, I wanted to give up, but my sweet friend Katia kept cheering me on and I think I am back on track. (The verses are on my sidebar.)
Picture of the Week:
Too, too much snow!
Manitoba, Canada
I will not complain about the weather here in Indiana, now.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Gracefully Yours,
Jenn


Nice review! I like your math selah. lol I have the booklet "When Queens Ride By", an excellent story! And Wow, is that a recent photo from Canada? Glad we are not them.
ReplyDeleteMath is usually a sore subject in our house....I think your pause and review is a good idea. I wish I had done that (oh, so many times!) instead of curriculum hopping.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to check out the "reads" you've recommended!
Blessings!
Sharity
ps I have nothing to complain about in the weather department either!
I am very glad to hear you all are feeling better. ((HUGS)) Ohhh so many neat looking books you have shared. And LOL I had a good chuckle at the TOO MUCH snow pic. We are not that bad so yes we are to be thankful. Praying that one math program will be a lot of fun and a lot of learning will click into place. Yes, humor is a GOOD way to learn. [0= I love your dinner menu rotation it sounds yummy and fun.
ReplyDeleteBlessings and ((HUGS)) my SSiC
Love the photos of the boys!
ReplyDeletewe are taking a break from Julie's regular math routine, too, and we're trying Life of Fred. The stories are short and sweet, and oh so funny - and I think he really does a great job of explaining things at a child's level- and in a humorous way. It's definitely practical/applied math.
I'm glad to hear that you are recovering. I pray the sickies stay away for good!
Blessings,
Michelle
A great post, I am glad you are well, I have missed your posts. I enjoy your reading suggestions. I am going right now to read the post your recommended!
ReplyDeleteLOL! Love that last photo!
ReplyDeleteWe are also looking forward to the warmer weekend in Indiana.
I love your menu idea of doing a different type of food like Mexican, Italian, Asian, etc. what a neat idea!
You are so wise to step back and reflect on the math! You have so much wisdom when I read your post. I wish I had been that smart when my children where really young. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for the link to that story! I can't wait to read it.
Have a blessed weekend!
God bless you - Julie
I love your weekly menu idea! So simple yet a plan. I am going to adopt it and see how it works for our family.
ReplyDeleteMath with tears...yep time to take a break. Been there too. Really took time to seek the Lord on it and He gave me a simple book for dd and she is doing fabulous. Its a book from public school...basic algebra...but she gets it...and she is doing so well. Was worth the two week break!
I am checking out the books for dd's. They sound fabulous!
I will take the ice had last week over all of that snow ;)
ReplyDeleteMy heart ached for you and your Grace as read this... Anna and I have been there and done that..... one year we just took math off until the end of the year, then started fresh in the fall, it was the best thing...actually I didn't take her off completely, just stopped all math workbook and lessons and allowed her to just play math games on her own. Then that fall I bought a math DVD curriculum....Anna did really well on her own, then last year it went down the tube again, so we stopped, reflected and tried something new this year.
(((hugs))
katia
Sounds like a great week, and that snow picture, wow.
ReplyDeleteI just wrote up a 2 week menu rotation, but I'm not sure it will work right now with what's going on with finances. I didn't want to repeat the same meal every week, I was try to repeat every two weeks. Oh well, work in progress, right? :)
JoAnn
I hope that you are feeling a bit better by now. We've been hit hard, week after week and I'm getting really worn out.
ReplyDeleteMath has been difficult for us in the past and we changed to TT and although not top-notch, my girls are understanding quite a bit more. I've heard good things about MathTacular.
It's been wonderful to catch up with you.
I just wanted to check in on you and make sure that all was well. You're right about the winter weather--someone else always has it worse off than you. Thanks for sharing with us how things are for you.
ReplyDelete