I tossed around the idea of putting some effort into hiding God's Word in my heart this year. I enjoyed the challenge in a 2009-10 bible study I attended last year. I've decided to make the commitment to continue this year, except to strive to memorize a verse a week for 52 (or so) weeks. I won't be alone. My friend Katia is going to do the same. Others may join the group.
I may fail. Failing is a favorite excuse I use to not try at all. I won't be legalistic either. I will give it my best effort, though, because I think it is important. I desire to put first things first in 2011.
Here are the first two passages I intend to hide in my heart. These are copied from Biblegateway.com.
Psalm 77:11-15 (English Standard Version)
11I will remember the deeds of the LORD;yes, I will(A) remember your wonders of old.
12I will ponder all your(B) work,
and meditate on your(C) mighty deeds.
13Your way, O God, is(D) holy.
(E) What god is great like our God?
14You are the God who(F) works wonders;
you have(G) made known your might among the peoples.
15You(H) with your arm redeemed your people,
the children of Jacob and Joseph.
Selah
1 Peter 1:13-16 (English Standard Version)
Called to Be Holy
13Therefore,(A) preparing your minds for action,[a] and(B) being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 14As obedient children,(C) do not be conformed to the passions(D) of your former ignorance, 15but(E) as he who called you is holy, you also be holy(F) in all your conduct, 16since it is written,(G) "You shall be holy, for I am holy."If you have a moment, go visit A Holy Experience. Ann has some great tools. I especially like "Why make time to memorize God's Word?"

I really like this idea and am going to try to join you. I am not good with memory but I do love reading the word.
ReplyDeleteGreat verses. I've thought of memorizing one new verse each week. I'll have to think about joining you. :)
ReplyDeleteJoAnn
Hi Jenn,
ReplyDeleteI have the verses out of Peter on my list for this year.
I will have to add the Psalm one you have also. Love these verses.
Oh, my verse for this week is really small and easy, the hardest part for me is memorize the reference, I always seem to have troubles with the reference, so the reason why I must try to keep this going all year long.
I am sooooooo happy we are doing this together.
Many blessings on your week ahead. Snow tomorrow, are you ready for it?
(((hugs))
Katia
Ohh dear Jenn,
ReplyDeleteAs long as you TRY you never really truly fail in the true meaning of the word. Fail means you gave up before you even tried. So as long as you try you will never fail.
I pray blessings on your journey in scripture. ((HUGS))
In Him<><
-Mary