My grandpa is an original, one of a kind. I don't think there was anything he could not fix or do. He has a love of nature & books that he passed onto me. He loved to bake sourdough bread. I will never forget the smell of his "radio room", a mixture of oil, sweat, and dirt! He led a simple life. He is devoted to his one wife of over 65 years. He raised two lovely daughters of which one is my mom. He likes pie. If you ask him what his favorite kind of pie is, he will say "hot or cold." He loves to feed and watch birds. He used to grow a huge garden. He used to canoe down White River, camping out on a sand bar when he decided it was time to stop. He loves chocolate bars. He served in WWII as a radio operator. He loves old movies, westerns. He likes to go for long drives in the country, stopping at an old country-style restaurant. He used to make lot of things: a side-car for his bike for us to ride in, wooden bowls, a play kitchen for me for Christmas, so many things. Like I said before, there was nothing he could not build, fix or do.
But now the time is coming that we will have to say good-bye. It is very difficult to watch someone you love suffer. I really love my grandpa, so many people do. He is losing the battle with cancer, which is so hard to fight when you are 90. I am 42 and he is the first "real" grandparent that I have had to face this with. My paternal grandpa died awhile back, but I did not know him very well. He chose not to be part of our lives. I have been very blessed to have my Grandpa to love and be loved by.
I am going to see him on Monday. I just want to hug him and tell him I love him. ♥
Aww, big hugs Jenn. It's so hard to loose loved ones especially those that you are so close to. I actually haven't had a grandparent since I was 12 so you are truly blessed that you have so many wonderful memories that will become extra special treasures to cherish. My whole heart goes out to you and your family during this time. (((Hugs)))
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful tribute. I will pray that your visit will be truly special and full of tender memories for you to store in your heart.
ReplyDelete((((Hugs))))
~Tamara
Dearest Jenn,
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful tribute to your grandfather. Priceless!
I am so sorry about your grandfather loosing his battle with cancer. May the Lord Jesus give you and your precious family the peace that surpasses all of our human understanding as you face the near future.
(((hugs)))
Katia
What a post that has me with tears of empathy in the sorrow you are already grieving knowing that his time is almost near the end here on earth. Very BIG HUGS go out to you and your family during this time of uncertainity.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes. :)
ReplyDeleteJoAnn
Wish I could have known him. His heritage has been passed on well to the third and fourth generations in you and your children. Praying for you during your visit.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your kind words about your sweet grandpa with us.
ReplyDeleteit brought tears to my eyes as it brought back so many memories of my own Grandpa which I lost to cancer 15 years ago.
There is nothing like having a grandpa!
My heart goes out to you...
May our Father in Heaven be with you and your family at this emotional time.
x
lori
I loved reading your sweet words about your grandpa. God bless you both.
ReplyDelete