Thursday, January 14, 2010

Some Notes on Suffering


Just thinking about the idea makes me uneasy.  Suffering.  I admit that one of my favorite idols is comfort and ease.  However, if you've been on the road of sanctification long enough, you are going to run into the concept in a very personal way. 

I am reading an awesome book, Peacemaking Women:  Biblical Hope for Resolving Conflict by Tara Klena Barthel and Judy Dabler.  In their book, they take a look at suffering in chapter two. 

Suffering tempts us to doubt the goodness of God.  I can remember struggling with this when I watched a good friend of mine die a few years ago.  She left a husband and 2 kids.  They were homeschoolers.  My small view of God caused conflict in my heart that has taken these years to resolve. 

The fact is, we live in a fallen world.  But, God  can use our suffering for His good, for our good.  Maturing in Christ requires our being willing to suffer.  2 Timothy 3:12 says,"Yes, and everyone who wants to live a godly life in Jesus Christ will suffer persecution."  Through our trials, we become more like Jesus, if we submit our wills. 

Elisabeth Elliot puts a good light on this topic when she said,"Nothing can reach us, from any source in earth or hell, no matter how evil, which God cannot turn to his own redemptive purpose.  Let us be glad that the way is not a game of chance, a mere roll of the dice which determines our fortune or calamity - it is a way appointed, and it is appointed for God's eternal glory and our final good." 

6 comments:

  1. sounds like a really good book! I've been listening to Joyce Meyer podcasts lately and she has been talking about conquering Doubt & Fear and this has spoken very loudly to me lately. I'm glad you shared this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice post, even brought a tingle of conviction and a gentle reminder to my heart that despite what I am going through at the present time is no match to the blessings I have been given by our Awesome Lord and for that I am grateful... course I admit I dont always like being uncomfortable either... ha ha ha at least I can resolve the issue knowing there is something waiting in the wings much better than that which I go through at the present moment...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jenn,
    I agree with you, the road of sanctification is one that we must learn how to endure suffering. It will cause us to grow closer to Him.
    Thank you for sharing your heart with us about your friend.
    ((((((hugs)))))
    Katia

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good post. My friends husband always say, "Why worry, God is in control." For me, so much easier said than done. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. We tend to link God's goodness with our comfort. It is OK to ask God why, as long as we turn to His Bible to find the answer.
    Blessings,
    Darling Husband

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jenn,

    Thanks for this post. I'm so happy I found your blog b/c of the google hit on "Peacemaking Women."

    I'm looking forward to poking around your links and archives.

    Blessings,
    Tara B.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails