I've always thought that I wanted to be a farmer. I spent two of my younger years on a farm raising cows, chickens, pigs, rabbits, soy beans and corn. Those were great times! I was in the 5th and 6th grade. My parents were still together. My sister was alive. We had 20 acres and a little, tiny two bedroom house. What more could we want?
My, I have such sweet memories of those days. I learned to halter break my calves and lead them on walks down the deserted roads. I tried to save a new baby pig from its ultimate fate when its mother stepped on him. Little Football, I called him. I watched my cat have litter after litter. I watched my cat barf up a mouse! I played house in the haystack, in the garage, on the front porch with Barbie. I swung on my tire swing. I enjoyed meals outside on a table made at the prison. We planted an evergreen tree that is still there. (The house and buildings are gone.) We went to sugar-maple festivals and joined 4H and Girl Scouts. We were rescued from a night at school by a neighbor who came to get us in his tractor during a bad snowstorm! Those were two packed years of my formative times.
I think that I have romanticized these cherished years to the point that every time I pick up a book, fiction or non, that is about farm life, I start to pine for something I do not have. I am always searching for a way back to my life before the pain of divorce and sorrow entered. Anyway, Miss Woginrich, I thank you for writing your book and inspiring others to go after their dreams.
What is so inspiring is that Miss Wonginrich does not wait for life to come to her. She knows what she wants and she goes after it. She is purposeful, diligent and motivated! She may have to work a day job, but that does not stop her from living her dream and encouraging others.
I am inspired by her example to do the same. But first I need to determine what I really want. What do I really want? I already have so much, not in material blessings, perhaps, but I have a totally devoted husband, three awesome kids, and the sweetest kitty on earth! Not to mention the love of extended family and friends. I am a blessed woman, indeed!
In March, we will have a golden opportunity to move yet again. We need to be so careful and choose wisely. Do we want to rent a little farm? Do we want to be in town? Those are huge questions going through my mind right now. Both situations would be very suitable for the stage of life we are in right now. Reading this book has helped me to see more clearly what I want. I can see my dream house so clearly, although, it may not include livestock just now. I really want to continue to have our weekends free to explore and go camping, so animals are not really a good fit for now. But that doesn't mean they would not be in the future.
I found this picture that might give you an idea of what I am after.
I so love porches, and this house has two, what a house! We certainly won't find this type of house to rent in our price range, but you have to shoot for something when you are dreaming, right? I will be looking for a house with at least a small porch, a yard to grow some food in, and a big tree to hang a swing from.
Sorry that I've not said much about the details of Made From Scratch. If you are curious, you can get a feel of the book from the author's blog at Cold Antler Farm. If you hurry, she is giving away a hand-crank radio if you leave her a comment telling how you told someone about her blog.
Blessings,
Jenn
Your blog is so beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI can tell that you have some new thoughts and ideas!
I love reading about your memories.
I think it is wonderful to have a dream and a goal. The Lord will be looking out for you...I'm sure!
I like porches too. We don't have one, actually haven't had one in over 10 years. It's still a dream of mine, but obviously not something the Lord has for me right now. I pray that you find the house He has for you. :)
ReplyDeleteJoAnn