Tuesday, May 26, 2015
Changing Seasons
This last week has been a busy one, and we are finding ourselves in a season of change. I suppose this was bound to happen as our children grow,and find themselves needing, wanting different things. Thankfully, the Lord has been protecting my tender mama's heart from too much change. I am not sure I could handle a lot more!
The change is in several forms. The first is that we are finding it more difficult to go camping as a family. Already, our oldest had stopped going a few years ago. Now that he is 17, he is able to stay by himself and cat sit. And his involvement in marching band makes our camping trips less frequent, as we are trying to be supportive band parents.
The other two still enjoy camping, though not as much as they once did. And frankly, Jeff and I are finding it a lot more work than fun, even with the teen's willing help. So, we had the unusual experience of coming home from a camping trip and deciding to cancel two upcoming trips! It is usually the opposite. Nothing bad happened. We all just said that day trips would be as nice, and we love our home! Perhaps that is one of the precipitates. We love being closer to home as there is so much to do around here. We did schedule a trip up to our beloved lake in July, but we will stay at a hotel. We will see how it goes. We don't plan to sell the camper just yet, but it is an idea on the table. We spend $40 a month to store it. We still have one camping trip left on the books.
The other change has to do with our schooling. Our youngest had already declared himself ready to try the local public school. With our oldest doing well there, we were considering it, however, they are two very different boys, and I was not totally on board. Grace has mostly finished the Sonlight offerings for high school, as she started the high school cores when she was in middle school with an older brother going through them. So she was also looking for a new school plan. So, it has been decided that they will be enrolled in an accredited online school. They will still be at home, which I like, but they will have outside accountability. Then if Trevor comes up with a compelling reason to try the public high school the following year, he will have accredited records that our local school will require. He may not go. He may like this online school well enough. We shall see. We have two friends who are enjoying this online school, so that gives us hope.
And as I mentioned last week, Jeff starts a new job this coming Monday. I am praying it is a good fit. I am so thankful that it is close to home. (Another reason to love our home!) It is ironic though. If he had not taken the job so far away, we never would have moved here. God knew though!
Labels:
2015,
Camping,
Family Traditions,
Highschool,
Homeschool
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yes, your family is growing up and things are changing. That can be hard, but you seem to be coping well. May God bless you through all the changes and give you peace and acceptance.
ReplyDeleteAnd thanks for letting me know about my comment form. It is probably still not fixed. Hopefully soon!
Sounds like you are handling the changes well and taking them in stride. I've never camped, but know so many people who thoroughly enjoy it. I tend to be a homebody and like to stay close to home. Congratulations to your husband on his new job! Have a great day, Heather
ReplyDeleteI'm not a big fan of change....but that doesn't make it stop coming!
ReplyDeleteMay I ask what high school program you chose? I still have a year, but I'm tossing everything I can into my mental debate soup.
The school is an online charter school developed by Ball State University, so I don't think it is available in Alaska. High School is a tough decision. I have had lots of prayers going up over all our choices. Each child is unique, too, which makes it even harder.
DeleteThanks
DeleteAww.. change is hard somethimes. I know that I don't like it and tend to fuss about it. I hope that when it settles down and you grow to love the changes. :)
ReplyDeleteOh, I remember when my oldest daughters started not being able to be with us due to commitments. It is certainly a new season. At least you embraced the years past with all those wonderful family camping trips.
ReplyDeleteContinuing to pray for the new job.
Everything in due season.. for sure for sure for sure. I am finding with doing Foster Care again and the kids we get in our care, how much we took life serious when our two were little. It is a grief I am trying to learn to let go and take as a learning example. I am wanting to seriously play with these kids in my care, and enjoy more family time with my two. Time is very fleeting and wow does it go fast if you are not paying attention.
ReplyDeleteSounds like lots of changes, but all good. Looks like a good time camping. Continue to enjoy your times together. I know for us, they are so much more special when all 4 of us are together, because we know how rare they are and will continue to be. :)
ReplyDelete