I am happy to report that we have jumped back into our studies, this being our second week back to work. It is never easy to pick up where we left off a couple weeks earlier. We really had a rough break, too with much time devoted to saying goodbye to a loved one.
One of our bigger challenges at home has been our science. We are using Apologia Physical Science. The kids really don't enjoy science, and that saddens me, because science is cool. I don't know if it is our curriculum or my presentation. We are not giving up. We will just keep trying, and I will be looking for ways to spice things up.
Currently in our history, we are up to the 1960's. Our curriculum is taking more of an overview of the 21st century, which is fine. My students are enjoying the books. Grace is plowing through her classical literature class, reading Oliver Twist at the moment. Trevor is reading Peter Pan.
On the home front, we are now into my CPA husband's busy season. He is now a manager and is even busier than ever. He leaves in the dark, and returns after dark. This is normal, so we adapt and think about camping season in late April.
On the public school front, our oldest is continuing to enjoy his school. He got the highest grade in all of the chemistry classes last semester. In fact, he got all A's. I am really proud of him. I had such apprehensions about sending him. He is showing us that he is quite capable and very smart! Jazz band has been a highlight for him. His new challenge this semester is taking an online class through the school. That will help him meet all his credit requirements.
I am thankful for some rough weather we had last week. It was so cold that our evening activities were cancelled. It was nice to get back to our studies with a few less distractions. It was actually wonderful. It was a blessing. Now we have to get back to them this week, but maybe we are more rested and ready. Here we go!
I am glad to hear you are rested and ready to go!
ReplyDeleteI babysit for Chuck's cousin. Her husband runs a tax business so I understand how this time of year is for you. The schedule sometimes gets crazy if mom has to work late and of course dad isn't able to back her up. We all have a sigh of relief when the season ends.
Well, there's comfort in the mundane even if it's not exciting, especially after such an emotionally intense time. January is a doldrum time anyway. I miss those Sonlight days! Leesie has requested that we reestablish our tea & read-aloud time--such a wonderful tradition of homeschooling days. :-) Now to find the time...
ReplyDeleteBlessings on these back-at-it days, my friend ~
Yes, it can be a challenge to get back into things. I'm glad it's working for you even though you had such a rough December.
ReplyDeleteWhat helps my kids enjoy science is the extra science reading I ask them to do--a biography, a book about a discovery, or whatever interests them. We do one book for science and one for math every trimester, so that's 6 total a year. I wrote about that last year: http://anniekateshomeschoolreviews.com/2014/02/reading-about-math-and-science/
I hope that helps a bit!
Yep....here we go!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great week. Glad everything is going well in with schooling.
ReplyDeleteJaedyn got really bogged down with that particular course as well, sadly. We enjoyed the elementary science classes put out by Apologia, however. This semester we are doing BJU's biology and we do it together. It seems to be going well so far. She did biology in a private school last semester and the book was too advanced for a freshman in my opinion. I'm happy to hear how well your oldest is adjusting to public school. My youngest have transitioned into it well this year also.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the prayers. We've used a few of the Apologia series, but my girls have always loved science as long as I kept it along the hands-on experimental side vs. too much reading.
ReplyDelete...so glad that your son is thriving in school.