Monday, July 30, 2012

Some Pictures from the Weekend

Spring Mill State Park is easily one of my favorite IN parks.  There is just so much to do that we could not get to it all in one weekend.

Above is the mill at the heart of the restored village.  In its day it was the hub of the area.  350 pigs also free ranged this area back in the day.  Something I'd like to have seen!  The mill was so successful in part because it was located next to an abundance of flowing water from a cave about 500 feet away.




The village also has a beautiful herb and flower garden.  The mill's owner didn't have to grow a garden of food as there were so many wagons of supplies coming into the village every day. Imagine that.  In the early 1800's, they didn't eat local.  (ha!)  The garden was used for parties, medicine, and there were pea fowl walking around as well.  The village owner was wealthy and was not the typical pioneer.  He had money to spend and wasn't afraid to spend it.  (I learned a lot on our walking tour of the village!) 

The park also has a memorial to a local hero, Virgil Grissom, the astronaut.


We also visited the nature center, which is situated next to a man made lake that went wonky due to sediment coming from the cave water.  This used to be the swimming beach. Now it is a favorite hang out of Great Blue Herons.



We spent most of Saturday keeping cool in the giant swimming pool. It got pretty warm, but the pool was delightful. 


 Here's the campsite...



Ryan got his own tent this trip.  It helped him have some private space away from siblings when he needed it.

Here they are in front of the camp store.  I just love their flowers!  



The sunset was very pretty Friday evening. 


Another view of camp site number 125.

Last time we camped here, in 2009, this is how the kids looked.  Amazing transformation in only three short years!



From 2009!

Today, I will joyfully wash and hang out all our blankets and sleeping bags, looking forward to our next camping trip in four short weeks!

10 comments:

  1. It is great to be back in camping season. For the combination of family time, exploring, learning, and playing, camping can't be beat!

    Now to rest up for the next trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, my love! Rest up, though? Ha! We have a school to start and small group to lead. We'll rest when we're old. :-)

      Delete
  2. What a nice place to camp. I love those flowers too. And it's amazing how, in what seems to be such a few short years, our kids change so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a great time. Ryan looks like he did the most growing in those 3 years. I'm sure the pool wasn't really that empty Saturday, was it? I love parks that have a lot to do & explore. Glad you are back safe & sound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a wonderful weekend for you and yours. It is amazing how much they grow in three short years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic trip. Wow! The shot of the sky was beautiful. They have grown so much from your picture. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your weekend trip sounds delightful! I haven't been in a pool in YEARS though, but that's okay since I'm not much of a water/swimming person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful! Thank you for sharing your visit with us! I hope all those pigs still don't roam about! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks and sounds like you had a great time. You look great in that picture, I can tell the weight you've lost, good job! The kids sure have grown in the last three years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How delightful!
    The pool looks so inviting. And yes your kids have really sprouted in the past few years. Goes by soooo fast.
    Posted more photos of the baby. HUGS

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails