Monday, May 23, 2011

Habits

Good morning friends. I pray you had a lovely weekend, too. I've been thinking about habits lately.
"In early childhood, you lay the foundation of poverty or riches, in the habits you give your children."

Mrs. Lydia Child, The American Frugal Housewife


"Therefore, the first rule, and the most important of all, in education is, that a mother govern her own feelings, and keep her heart and conscience pure."

Mrs. Lydia Child, The Mother's Book

Oh, how I feel the weight of these statements as I wrestle with my own feelings and keeping my conscience pure.  What are the habits that I have given my own precious children?  Are they worthy ones?  No, not all of them.  Rooting them out at this age is proving to be as difficult as rooting them out of my own heart.  Habits can be a constant struggle, when you are trying to change them, especially at my age.  Fortunately, I do have a compassionate Savior.  He sympathizes with my weaknesses.  Only through Him can I overcome and hope to be the mother my children need.  I feel trapped by my habits.  I must not allow them to be my ruin!

1 Corinthians 10:13 (New American Standard Bible)

 No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

7 comments:

  1. Good words to ponder about my own habits...no, mine are not all great either. A good thing to start working starting right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A loud Amen from the DITR section. And a big sigh, which is probably a bad habit. I know what you mean about feeling trapped. I have voiced that same complaint to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how important habits are. Whether good or bad they shape our daily lives and the bad ones are always so much harder to break! Good thoughts, something for me to ponder today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn,

    Bad habits are especially hard to break. Once they become a routine, they sort of devour your soul, and it becomes quite difficult to "weed them out."

    This post reminds me that I need to start cultivating some better habits in my life. However, this is easier said than done.

    -L. Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Lord has placed you as their mother for a reason. Unfortunately we are all sinners and so our children will not be raised by perfect parents. The only perfect parent they have is the Lord. I pray as He shows you the areas He wants you to grow in your peace will come from Him.

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find the habits of wrong thinking particularly plaguing lately--hard to discern and really hard to change once I recognize them. I've been praying for the Lord to bring to bear the "mind of Christ", which He says I have, and rebuild those patterns to conform to His.

    Long road...

    But, He always gives us the victory, so we have great things to look forward to!

    We're in the trenches together, my friend. :-)

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails