Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Kind of an Update

A funny thing happened a couple weeks ago.  I had put out a hummingbird feeder in April when we moved in our new home.  I had been told that it would be a slim chance of attracting them, especially with no flowers around.  But, I had the feeder and a desire, so I hung it out.  Actually, I forgot all about it.  I should have been faithfully filling it up all this time. 

In the meantime, my grandfather's geranium was in bloom this summer next to the feeder.  One day, I happened to be outside and I saw what seemed like a big bug swoop by me and hesitate at the feeder.  It then dawned on me what I was seeing, a real live hummingbird at my neglected feeder.

Boy, was I then motivated.  I ran into the house.  I made a new batch of sugar water.  I waited for it to cool.  I brought in the feeder and gave it a good cleaning.  When the water was cool, I hung the feeder back out and waited. 

Hummers were spotted the next day and the next.  I set about moving the feeder a little each day, so that I could see it from my kitchen window.  By now, the feeder is very popular and I love to watch them chase each other from the feeder. I also love to watch as the male perches on the feeder itself.  What a blessing!  I can honestly say that this was such a surprise and has added to my enjoyment of bird feeding beyond my dreams! 

3 comments:

  1. i would not have thought that to be hard... hummingbirds have a way of finding the sweet goodness of nectar... they will keep coming as long as u supply the source

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great, I'm glad they are coming around. My sister has one too, and the birds are fun to watch. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post, Jenn! We have humming birds that come to our yard from the neighbors feeder, specially when my Hostas are in full bloom. But, I am yet to get a good shot of them, these little guys are way too fast for me.
    Have a wonderful weekend, full of peace, joy, rest and lots of fun.
    (((hugs))
    katia

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails