My love, hate relationship with stuff continues to rage! Recently, we've been blessed with more really good stuff as family downsizes. I love the new sectional! The books are treasures. The kids like the extra TV that only plays VHS tapes. But, I feel my chest start to constrict as I look around me. More stuff here and there really makes me crazy! My frustrations burst out and then I try to convince myself that this is probably just a stage of life. When you have kids, you are going to have stuff. My chest relaxes, a little. Then I get a call from my dear mom. Do we want her extra refrigerator? I know my husband's answer will be, "YES!" And really, it would be handy to have, but oh my, how will he ever get it here and then it will take up more precious space in the garage. Maybe I live in a fantasy world, thinking I can get my possessions down to the right amount for our space. Yes, it is a fantasy! Anyway, here is an article about a couple who did it (without kids, I might add.) *wink*
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110275/but-will-it-make-you-happy
I have been trying to keep the idea of " If I die" do I ever want my kids to have to go through the " stuff" and get rid of it them selves? Sure this is a question for when I am older but where do we learn the right balance before we get to that stage in life? How do we teach our kids to have a simplicity mind set?
ReplyDeleteAnyhow not sure how to help you because sometimes we do the same things.. maybe way the pro and con of each item that is being brought into your family and think Could I really Live With Out This? What kind of instant happiness is this bringing me or will it be a hinderence later on?
There's nothing wrong with having stuff, it's when the stuff has you. Plus you have to remember it's not just your house, its our husbands too. That's always the sticking point for me. Just because it's not how I would do it, or it's not what I want, doesn't always matters. We are now one, and if he thinks we need it, then I need to be ok with that.
ReplyDeleteAll that being said, I'm no where near being that good, and truthfully, I like stuff (too much). Hubby is the one that keeps me in line. And if I was closer, I would take the fridge, or the sectional, we are looking for a new couch. :) lol
JoAnn
One thing I always tell myself is just because it's free doesn't mean we need it.
ReplyDeleteI think it's something you just have to find balance in. JoAnn has a good point about stuff not owning you.
Ah, stuff. It is a tension, isn't it? I think half the battle is being aware of what stuff can do with us -- that stuff can "have us," as Growing said above. Working through this myself.
ReplyDeleteLOVE the picture on this post -- is that from your garden?
Oh I feel your pain. My dad gave us a table and buffet. They were my great-grandma's. That's all well and good but we HATE them. I feel bad getting rid of them, but to me, they are just furniture! Ugh. There is so much furniture here it makes me twitchy. I don't know what to do about it! There's 6 of us. I don't know what I expect. A miracle, maybe!
ReplyDelete