There is something stirring in my heart, a yearning for a life not grand or sophisticated; unpretentious: a simple way of life. So I began to do some research, spending time pondering everything that I do. Why do I do this? Could I do it in a way that is less complicated? Do I really need all these things? Do I really? The answer is obvious. No, I do not need all these things!
Stuff is enemy number one of the simple life. Take for example camping. When we go camping, which is quite often, I bring along the minimum of essential basics. My kids also bring along a few books and toys which is a minute representation of their belongings. Normally this amount of stuff would not satisfy us, however, when we are camping we are content with less. And peace comes flowing in abundance.
Now, I have noticed how this peace affects us. We are happier. We are free from our stuff! No one complains about not having more stuff. No one argues over the stuff they do have. Stuff has lost its power over us. So, I got to thinking,"Why can't this be the same way at home where we spend most of our time?"
That's an awesome question. Why do I let our stuff control us? Why? It is only stuff, but it controls us! And, I don't think we have more stuff than the next fellow either. In fact, we've moved several times in the last few years and I have purged and purged and purged some more. We don't even have a garage at the moment, so that option to hoard stuff is not available. Yet still, our stuff is in control.
How can I change this? I know there is no one simple answer. (Hee, hee. I see a pun here.) I am praying for divine guidance for I know my answer will come from Him and not from the world. I am praying for the courage to get rid of some things that are going to be hard to get rid of but will ultimately free us.
I believe the control stuff has over me is linked to my covetous heart. I see the bitter fruit of this in my children's lives, as they have such a love for getting more stuff. Ashamedly, it is a love that I once nurtured. I have repented and am praying that they too will see the need for repentance some day.
On a happier note, I have made one small discovery this week in my quest for simplicity bringing such joy to my heart that I must share it. I don't need extra decorative pillows on my bed! Eliminating those pesky pillows has really simplified making the bed. Also, the dust they collected over the years is gone, helping my allergies. Beginning my day without being frustrated by pillows is a beautiful thing.
I am giving myself permission to simplify. I am keeping my eyes open for things that are in need of a new home. I will win this war against stuff. I will!
Blessings to you and yours as we travel this journey together,
Jenn
As we were going through the rooms yesterday( and we are not done yet either) my son was the one giving the grief over items in his room... thats when I felt it was time to say " kids if this is something you have not played with in a while and it just sits there but yet you are compelled to get upset then the idea of getting rid of the stuff comes to play then that item has become an idol"......
ReplyDeletehmmmm I feel a post coming on.... SHEESH HA HA HA