So, I said to my family, "Let's do the same!" To which I got the standard luke-warm response. I even tried to tie an award to the box, like ice cream. A little more interest was generated, but no one volunteered to go first. The box is empty.
I see this "love of stuff" that my children have as my biggest obstacle to getting a more simple life. And the root of this problem lies with me. Yes, that is right. It is all my fault.
When they were babies, I allowed very generous, excited grandparents to sow the seeds of covetousness. Every birthday and Christmas I allowed these seeds to be watered. Every summer, once a week when Grandma came bearing gifts, I allowed the seeds to take root. It would have been so easy to cut out these weeds way back then. But, I too was in love with stuff and so I did not heed the warnings along the way.
It would be tempting to be very discouraged. It is true that alone I have no hope of change. Ah, but I am not alone. I read these words from Genesis 18:14 this morning, "Is anything too hard for the LORD?" There is my answer. Nothing is too hard for the LORD! Perhaps, if it pleases my King, he will help my family to win this battle with excess. Already, I see big changes in my husband and myself. (We are only months away from being debt free by the grace of God!)
So, I am going to get that box out and challenge them again. This time with no awards, just the simple pleasure that comes from having fewer things to manage. I will start the giving myself. I will not whine, nag or badger them into compliance. I will pray and wait on the LORD to move.
~Jenn
Wow, Can I come over and clean your daughters room? I have mastered the make things disappear right before their eyes.. lol As we clean up our home I will pray for you and yours...
ReplyDeleteJeannie
I wish you could come help, Jeannie. I am at a loss.
ReplyDeleteJenn
First I want to say you are doing a godly thing by turning to the Lord for this and admitting where the fault lies. I cant relate to the allowing them to get every single gift from every single person since Aleisha was born we stated rules very clearly and the rules even went on to apply when we would go shopping But I dont want to come across like I am bragging... I was really shocked by the room and honestly heart broken for you and the sense of emotion your daughter has with the items in there that If I could be there to help you I would in a heart beat.. I hope that makes sense without sounding off. The only thing I can say more is nothing more than what you were already saying... it starts with a true heart of repentance, a motivated action done by you(so that the others in the family will know) its going to take you and your hubby to sit down and agree that things need to change... then you both kindly tell each others relatives the behaviors that are arising from the enourmous amount of gift giving(regardless if its big or small)... let them know that although its all been appreciated that the gift giving must be done very very limited from now on... .. we listen to our kids and see what they truly desire(most often than not most kids really prefer only a few meaningful things because it showed you were listening to their hearts and not the commercials)... and hopefully the family understands if not again remember you are the parents of your children and will want to hopefully have children with contended hearts... Anyhow once the inlaws have been kindly regarded just keep plugging away at the purging... sooner or later(hope for sooner of course) that the kids will have a changed heart. Does this all mean we cant have a few things NO there is nothing wrong with having a few things but when it becomes an issue of could I ever depart from it... thats when the heart has made it an idol... I am going to pray for you like I said I would... also too I think each family has a degree of what is alot of stuff to them... I have 4 other siblings and BELIEVE ME when I say each of us are VASTLY DIFFERENT... ha ha... I hope this helps in some way, just remember satan wants us in soul chaos... dont let him get the upper hand to discord the family especially if you know the LORD is leading you down a better road to simple living...
ReplyDeleteBlessings to You
Jeannie
Your friend in Oklahoma
What a sweet post. I'm so glad you are giving it to the Lord. Where He guides, He'll provide. I know that saying is usually for wanting more things, but I think it can apply to everything. Where He wants you to purge, He'll provide a way for that purging to be done. He keeps everything in balance. I know for me, my idol wasn't always stuff (though it is sometimes), but my idol can be how clean and organized my house is. See look at me, and what I've done. I keep things organized and blah, blah, blah. :( So sad. Please know I'm not trying to discourage you, just letting you know what I deal with. Funny how we can all deal with such different issues, and yet the Lord is there right with us through them all.
ReplyDeleteI will be praying for you and your family, especially Grace. I understand it because I deal with it with Paulie. He doesn't like to get rid of anything, it scares him. Why? Because it's change, and he doesn't like change. So we work slowly on it, talk with him about it, and help him through his emotions. I pray that the Lord shows you both how to do that with Grace too. :)
Love ya,
JoAnn